Waves of Global Change:
An Educator’s Handbook for Teaching a Holistic World History
By Dr. Denise R. Ames
Veteran educator Dr. Denise R. Ames has written this handbook especially for pre-service teachers and educators K-university in order to differentiate how this holistic world history is taught from traditional world history. The book lays out the principles of the holistic world history model for educators to use directly in the classroom. The intention of the book is to help educators conceptualize and teach about world history in a more holistic way by using a systems approach, a global perspective and historical patterns. It is a valuable tool in understanding the holistic model and how all the parts can be successfully pulled together into a thought-provoking and challenging world history course.
The book is organized into eight chapters with graphic organizers, diagrams, pictures, glossary and bibliography.
- An Introduction to a Holistic Teaching Model for Educators ... introduces the holistic approach used in this world history.
- Systems Thinking: An Approach to Understanding a Holistic World History ... describes systems thinking and makes suggestions on how it can be applied to world history.
- Worldviews: The Way We Look at the World ... examines five worldviews—indigenous, modern, fundamentalist, globalized, and transformative—that inform our ways of thinking.
- Waves of Global Change: A Holistic World History Model ... explains the five waves, five comparative currents and twenty-five sub-currents.
- 20 Advantages of a Holistic World History Model ... lists and clarifies the 20 advantages with examples given as well.
- Circle of Learning ... illustrates a way in which world history can be taught that utilizes 6 different skills: remember, understand, apply, analyze, evaluate, and create.
- World History Teaching Tools and Strategies ... highlights 14 suggestions and examples for helping to make this holistic world history come to life.
- Strengths and Weaknesses of the Holistic World History Model ... gives a final wrap-up to this holistic teaching approach.
Table of Contents
- An Introduction to a Holistic Teaching Model for Educators
- Systems Thinking: An Approach to Understanding a Holistic World History
- Worldviews: The Way We Look at the World
- Waves of Global Change: A Holistic World History Model
- 20 Advantages of a Holistic World History Model
- Circle of Learning
- World History Teaching Tools and Strategies
- Strengths and Weaknesses of the Holistic World History Model
Shopping Cart by E-junkie